Monday, December 21, 2009

Never a dull moment

I'll have to catch up on some less pressing thoughts later...for now I need to post an update about my car being stolen...yes, stolen! Oy! I last drove my car Thursday night and needed it late this afternoon. I looked in the couple spots I thought I parked it and then just had to take a cab. When I got back I decided to do a walk around the neighborhood to make sure I hadn't just missed it in my earlier haste. After carefully walking all 8 blocks that comprise my normal parking area I decided to call city tow. No record. For some reason I thought of looking on the Transit Authority site to see if there were any tickets posted...and there was one for $303.

Thinking maybe this was related to towing I called the towing number again. After I had them look into the ticket, they discovered it was for parking in a handicap zone in front of 333 Valencia, down between 14th and 15th. A quick 6 block cab ride confirmed my car was indeed still parked in the handicap zone and NOT TRASHED! It had definitely been gone through.  Would it be better to just leave a $20 under the wiper blade with a note asking potential thieves to just take a cab?! I will need a new starter as they apparently used a screwdriver or something to jam the ignition. ..but I am SO thankful that I still have my car.

So I called the police to come and make a report. Don't want to be stuck paying for a $303 ticket. After waiting for 20 minutes, in front of the projects...not nicest section of Valencia, I callend them back. Sorry, busy night. After walking all those blocks in a hurry and the adrenaline of (losing and) finding my car, I was starving. I was a half block from Little Star Pizza, so called the police dispatch back and asked that they call my cell when they arrived.

Ahhh, amazing what a frosty pint of Boont Amber Ale, a pesto Green Goddess salad with radishes and slivered toasted almonds, and a deep dish Spicy BBQ Chicken pizza with roasted tomatoes, carmelized red onions, cilantro and a crispy cornmeal crust can do for your mood. The guy and woman/gal/girl (what is the right term for someone probably in her mid to late 20's?) behind the bar took great care of me...and were very nice to chat with. Must work on remember to ask (and then remember) people's names.


Unfortunately in the low light, the photos of the salad and pizza just don't convey their deliciousness sufficiently to warrant posting...you'll just have to take my word for it...or on second thought, just go to Little Star yourself.

I expected to be called away as soon as the pizza arrived. But I finished the salad, pizza (and second ale) and called dispatch yet again. Still pending. I told the woman on the phone that the Valencia St Projects (while much nicer than the old ones) were not the best place to hang out in front of on a rainy night...and hoped not to be calling her back to report being held up. She expedited the car, and what to my wondering eyes should appear...but two of the hottest of SF's finest I've ever seen. Officer Trujillo (latin, shaved head, very handsome, and really a nice guy) helped me out while his taller, all-american, corn-fed partner waited to the side. The thought of suggesting a strip search only briefly came to mind. But seriously, thanks guys, I appreciate your help.

But I digress, there were many ways to look at and react to having my car stolen. I really do think this past week changed how I reacted. I really didn't freak out. I just thought it would be a bummer to start off my first week of not working by losing my car. It was odd, and nice, to just move through it....have a nice dinner...and come away not all bent out of shape, but just grateful to still have my car. Would I rather not have to replace my starter...sure. But I'm really happy there is a starter still to replace.  :-)  Again...perspective is an interesting thing. Somehow I think this theme will be revisited again.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! A little Christmas drama, because...you know...you don't have enough right now.

    Hang in there.

    And Merry, Merry, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Steven, what a story--beautifully told I might add! Between getting the car back so quickly, Little Star (the cheeseless thick crust pizza with spinach, sausage and mushrooms is an all-time favorite!) and the SFPD's finest, it sounds like the angels were watching out for you. Of course, it sounds like you were watching out for them as well, with your wonderful presence and attention to beauty in the moment! Happy holidays hon!

    ReplyDelete