Saturday, December 12, 2009

Last day at work

My last day at work. I am finally done. After six months of being in limbo, knowing that I was going to lose my job, what a feeling...such a profound peace. After drinks with a few people and a stop at an agency's holiday party, I'm not sure if I have ever walked slower and enjoyed every minute as much as I did on that walk home in the rain. Amazing how much power and beauty there was in the walk that I've done almost every day for the past 5 years. I've had glimpses, but nothing like this.

If that wasn't enough, which it was, I noticed a guy on the sidewalk talking to an older homeless man. His intensity caught my attention. I realized that I had seen him before, on Market St across from my office, talking to a woman in a wheelchair. Such focus, attention, caring...love....such amazing energy from anyone, much less someone probably not much past 30 at most.

So I stood and watched him again. So struck by his spirit. I finally caught a minute with him. Apparently he had done a reading at a club there. I told him I'd seen him on Market. I asked what he was doing...and said how profoundly his caring struck me. He said he had grown up in homeless shelters. He said because of that he is always giving and has had a hard time keeping anything for himself. He's involved in an online literary/culture site...
therumpus.net. He said they need writers...and for me to write about my most recent and favorite book. I'll be exploring that site more soon.



Anyway...I walked home in tears from how profoundly he struck me. If everyone could look at their own friends and family, much less homeless strangers on the street, with such focus and caring, the world would be healed.


If this first night away from work is any sign about what is to come, which it most definitely was, I am in awe. So humbling how one small moment could teach me how much I have to learn...and how important it is to pay attention and be present...always.

No comments:

Post a Comment