Sunday, January 10, 2010

Breakfast inspired by mom's country biscuits and gravy

So after my silent retreat and fasting for 36 hours, mom made biscuits, gravy, sausage and eggs for breakfast. That's the official breakfast of Tennessee where my dad is from...and also his sisters who taught my mom how to make it correctly. Of course she sent me home with some extra biscuits...what to do...what to do?

I had some uncured bacon just waiting for me to open in the bottom drawer in my fridge. And I was craving mushrooms, to that blossomed into a gravy of sorts with a couple strips of crisped bacon, sauteed shallot and mushrooms, vermouth (yes, love to use that as a cooking liquid, try it, it isn't just for martini's anymore), baby spinach, little roux (flour and butter cooked together), nonfat milk, little mascarpone cheese, little sour cream, little grating of parmesan cheese, and a little of my new favorite seasoning, Sunny Paris (shallots, chives, green peppercorns, French basil, French tarragon, chervil, bay leaf, and dill weed) from Penzey's Spices. (Back to Penzey's in a moment.) I scrambled a couple eggs, put on top of a warmed up biscuit, and spooned the gravy on top. HEAVEN! Though I'm sure any true-blooded southerner would roll their eyes at my bastardized, California-ized, liberal interpretation. And yes, I ate it all before thinking of taking a pic. Will try to get better at that.

So I first ran across Penzey's years ago on a business trip to Minneapolis. I had to let the locals from the office there know about it. Very clean, simple, wood floors and tons of shelves filled with every spice you've ever heard of and more, all with large testers for you to smell. There wasn't an even remotely close store for quite awhile, so I had to make due with the site. Which you'll know is utilitarian at best, if you've already clicked the link above. I actually linked you in several clicks as they seem to want to dissuade  you from actually getting to the spices themselves. But sign up for a catalog if you're at all interested, they are fairly good, and often have a discount sticker on the cover. Luckily there is one down in Menlo Park now. Another great spice they have is Aleppo Pepper (a Turkish crushed red chili) that Vicky, aka cat lady and one of the previously unknowing locals I mentioned earlier and used to work with, is now completely hooked on.

Can you tell I was watching cooking shows and reading food blogs this am? More ponderings on my reading and time in Big Sur later. Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment