Saturday, January 16, 2010

"Being alive is art itself."

I know I promised (both my few random readers, and myself) to follow up on my experience down in Big Sur...and I'm going to. But I really need to dive back into my book and the passages I highlighted and my journal and process it more.

But for now...yesterday I decided it was time for a more cultural experience and decided to go to a matinee of Avatar.  ;-)  I went at 1:15 to the IMAX 3D and it was sold out all day. Again I say...WHO ARE ALL THESE PEOPLE??? In this case it seemed like an entire school (what age? I don't know, I'm too old to tell) was at the Metreon. Uhhh...these lawless youngsters need to make some room for their unemployed elders.

So I walked through the Yerba Buena Gardens (they really did a nice job on this space) and had a pot of green tea at Samovar Tea Lounge. If you like tea at all and haven't been to one their locations, treat yourself sometime soon. They have some nice lighter food; the tea soup is great.

Then I walked by the Yerba Buena Center which I haven't been to in forever. Decided this was the universe telling me it really was time for a more cultural experience and walked through their show, When lives become form: contemporary brazilian art, 1960's to present. My title quote is from Helio Oiticia, from the show. His mural is adorning the front windows of YBC.

Such wonderful colors, and the transparency...some pieces are more translucent and others clearer.

The show is a nice mix of photography, painting, sculpture, mixed media, film, music...ya get the picture. Just a few hightlights...
- sculpture composed of fruits and veggies cast, then I think made of some type of paper-based material painted to look like bronze
- a couple photos by Lucia Koch, one looking up at the sky out of a corrugated light bulb box...I thought it was more of an abstract at first, very cool
- a video of a japanese designer's fashion show who made dresses out of organic paper with intricate laser cutouts, then at the end of the show, all the models shredded their dresses on the runway (they had black leggings and tops on underneath)...caused quite a stir
- a music video of Fernanda Takai (did a couple quick searches and she's not available in the U.S. iTunes store, I'll be trying the latin music store on Mission today)...she's a contemporary singer with a wonderful voice. I've come to the conclusion that if I were straight, I'd be with a brazilian woman (Fernanda's voice inspires me, not especially her looks)...something about their spark, accent... yes, for those of know me I have a proclivity towards latin men as well

For $7 the show was well worth it.

So I had some fun with my iphone camera on the way out down the staircase shown above with the window mural in the general direction of the christmas light swirls I posted before. I think I'm going to work on a series and call it something like Bending Reality...or Bending Light and Form...more to come on that.





So much fun. I love the spontaneity ...not knowing what will appear. I guess that got me in the mood to wave my iphone around more, so I stopped after I left at the "corrugated" metal wall of the YBC. I was amazed at what came from those 15 minutes "gesturing"...



  


Liquid Reality? Whatever I call it, I'm loving taking these images. To this point I had only tried lights at night...this opens up a whole new world. Now I need to try printing them larger to see what the 3mp iphone images do when blown up.

I love how true Helio's quote is...life really is art. Happy Saturday everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to check out that show...looks amazing. And I LOVE those last pics you took...think I need to get an iPhone already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to have to show me how you did that. Or is that just something the 3GS can do instead of my inferior model?

    Seriously though, great images.

    ReplyDelete